Monday, February 13, 2012

How do you find (e)books?

One thing that's differnt about ebooks (when compared to print) is how you find the books. I follow a couple of blogs that list free and cheap ebooks. A Kindle World Blog is only for Kindle books, as you might expect from the name, but Books on the Knob (don't ask me what the name means!) covers all the major ebook retailers. She has a wonderful post on managing your Kindle library on there, too.

But even if a book is really cheap, if I don't know the author I usually get the free sample. I love that feature for ebooks! I wish authors and/or publishers paid more attention to it. The other day I got a free sample of a book I had heard good things about, and discovered the author had added a sort of lesson on writing at the front of the book. When I tried to jump to Chapter 1, it wasn't included in the sample! If I want a book about how to write, I will buy one! Needless to say, that was one book I didn't get.

I love bookstores, but I certainly don't plan to visit one to browse if I know I'll buy the ebook version. That's hardly fair to the bookseller, and besides, I think it's better to learn to browse digitally. I see mentions of books on Twitter sometimes, and on other folks' blogs. But if anyone out there has some good suggestions for digital browsing, I'd be happy to hear them.  I'm always on the lookout for a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment