Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It gets better, ebook edition

There used to be so many error in ebooks! I can't tell you how frustrated I was, especially when the errors would be totally obvious things like diacritical marks becoming garbage characters, so that any word with a tilde or an accent became unreadable. I recall being overjoyed to find out a book I had loved in high school (Rebel Spurs, by Andre Norton,long out of print, but it appears to be free in the Kindle store, although possibly it's a different edition) was on Kindle, and crushed when I read it and discovered just how badly a careless publisher could mess up a scanned book. I also enjoy the novels of Georgette Heyer, the historical ones more than the mysteries. Often those had errors, too, but recently I read The Toll Gate on my Kindle and was pleased there was exactly one typo (or possibly scanning error). The word “too” followed by an exclamation mark had been rendered as “tool” (with no punctuation to end the sentence). I used the spiffy new feature I mentioned in my post on the new Kindle Touch upgrade to report the error to Amazon. I will post about the results, and what feedback I get. But still, one typo in an entire novel is not bad, not bad at all! It did get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment