Saturday, April 14, 2012

Countdown to publication

I've delivered Shades of Empire to the conversion house and I've gotten back the novella Where Magic Rules. I'm proofing the novella on the Kindle now; that final post-conversion proof is really important. 52 Novels does a good job, but MS Word is not a great format to convert from. So far everything looks pretty good. the only conversion errors I have seen have been with double and single quote marks occasionally going the wrong way (e.g., what should be a close quote comes through as an open quote).

After some soul searching, I have decided to publish the novella as a Kindle Select book. That means for 90 days it will be available only on the Kindle. I really don't want to limit my readership that way. I know a lot of folks with Sony or Kobo or Nook readers (like this blogger) hate it when an ebook is only available on Amazon. But if I make it a Kindle Select book, I can make it free in the Kindle store for short periods of time, and that's a valuable tool.

When you think of it, it's kind of amazing that being able to give away your work should be so important, but that's the way it is in the digital world.

No comments:

Post a Comment